Friday 10 July 2015

CORONATION STREET: Deirdre and Anne's fitting goodbye


We all knew it was going to come, and this week it did.

After Anne Kirkbride passed away earlier this year, Corrie, working alongside Anne's family, have been working on a fitting end for one of the soap's most iconic characters.

When an actor passes away suddenly, or they have to leave their role without any warning, or a way to be given a proper send off on screen, it must be difficult for those behind the scenes to find a way to write their character away, for a while, or for good. But it must be even harder when that character is as well known and loved, just like Deirdre was.

In the back of my mind, I knew that Corrie would do Annie's memory justice, as they all loved her dearly. That you could tell from the tributes and raw upset at the awards ceremonies that have been since her passing. But I also worried that it may not 'live up' to expectations of the fans.

On Wednesday, when Bev arrived to tell Ken and Tracey the sad news, I braced myself on my sofa. Took a deep breath, if you like, because this was a big deal for many who were also sitting on their sofas, but also for Annie's family, and those she worked with for many years.
I think that when a storyline like this occurs, due to the actor no longer being with us in real life, too, it makes it all the more heartbreaking. I've cried at my favourite soap characters being killed off in the past before, because the story was so well told and emotive. It hasn't happened lots in my life, but there are one or two occasions when it's got me struck with tears.
This, on Wednesday, felt different, though.
When the news was broken, and Ken and Tracey broke down, it felt like watching as a fly on the wall, a real family being told of the death of their loved one. It was a scenario that, of course I wanted to watch, because I rationally knew that it was a soap, but I also had a small part of me that wanted to shy away, as though I shouldn't be watching this tender, personal moment.

And that is where Corrie did Annie proud. It was real.

The tears from Ken as he took Deirdre's glasses from Bev, and when he broke down to Steve, in the ginnel, as well as when Tracey broke into sobs towards the end of the episode... You could feel those emotions were as true to life as they were acted.

In the pub, where most of the other regular characters rallied, ready to celebrate Deidre's 60th birthday, I counted how many of them said her name. It was a hell of a lot! It was as though the writers wanted her name to leave the mouths of those characters just one last time.
The emotions here were also real, after Liz announced that her 'best friend' had died (and of course, they were best friends in real life, too), the line between character and actor was as thin as could be.

Last night's episode was lovely, too. The comedy of Corrie was still importantly there. Norris (of course!) and Lloyd being typical men, and thinking of their stomachs, even at a time like that... I also enjoyed the way that Steve took Ken into the back yard of the Rovers, bought him a drink out and later went for a walk with him. I thought that it was quite poignant that a character who had just overcome, and was still battling, depression found a strength in him to help someone who needed support.
I also have to touch on Simon Barlow's reaction, and the way his behaviour towards Leanne is escalating even more. It's going to be a hard hitting subject of domestic violence between a child and their parent. But his reaction is important, because, as he said: everyone he loves dies. He's become almost indifferent to it.

Towards the end of last night's episode, when the Rovers all lifted a toast 'to Deirdre', and the wind blew the doors open, as though Deirdre's presence was there, was also touching.
Some may scoff at that scene and say that it didn't need to be. But those who do believe in life after death will have smiled, maybe just to themselves, as that scene aired.

Tonight, and next week, will see the lead up to, and the actual funeral of Deirdre. I'm sure that will be just as gentle and emotive as the past two episodes have been.

It really was a great tribute, no big show, no massive drama. Just gentle, natural scenes, which did what they had to do perfectly, in my opinion.

Annie and Deirdre would have been proud. Blanche on the other hand... may have had something to say!

MORE SOAPS

DRAMA NEWS

REALITY TELLY GOSSIP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...