Monday 29 December 2014

It was a Soapy Christmas!

So we've eaten all we can and drank more than we probably should, and those TV Christmas classics have been re-run one too many times! Did you all have a good Christmas?

Now it's those awkward few days inbetween Christmas finishing and New Year's Eve, where nobody really knows what to do with themselves... So how about we have a catch up over what was good and was was a lump of coal over the festive telly period? Yep? Then let's go... 

Christmas TV is manly about the soaps, of course! I actually watched all four of the main ones on Christmas Day. I've always been an EastEnders fan first, Hollyoaks comes in second and then Corrie. I don't normally watch Emmerdale, only dipping in and out every so often.


I think every soap fan everywhere was waiting for the big EastEnders one. Yes, Linda finally told Mick that Dean raped her and the scene between the two was highly emotive. I think during that one episode, in 65 minutes, we saw every emotion in Mick. We were promised 'nuclear' when it kicked off, but that was saved for Boxing Day. And for me, that's where the big day episode fell a tad short. I hate saying that, because the dynamic of the episode, the acting from the cast and the strong storylines were more than great, but I felt the episode lacked the big oomph we were promised. I felt as though if the Boxing Day half hour, and the last half hour of the Christmas Day episode were put together, then it would have worked a little better for the impact - what do you think?

Linda Henry, Kellie Bright, Danny Dyer and Matt Di Angelo gave beautiful performances and deserve the biggest round of applause. It was also a very good flip, having Shirley side with Dean. Ironic that the one time she stands by him is when she should really walk away. What will happen to Dean now? Will he get away with his crime?

Mick's been left heartbroken, as Linda's up and left him and her engagement ring behind, after overhearing Mick tell Tina and Stan about her rape. I think this plot still has a way to go. But nothing will ever be the same for the Carter's again. And  haven't even mentioned the fact that Mick now knows Shirl's him muvva! But he doesn't seem to care about that right now. He has bigger things to worry about, and rightly so.

The other main stage on Christmas Day over on EastEnders was the Beale/Branning's family Xmas. And the present left for baby Beth. It was Lucy's jewellery box, and I swear it was left by Abi. She's twisted enough to do that... These two families are going to step right up to the forefront for the NYE episodes where the hunt for Lucy's killer is dramatically stepped up.
We know that there's going to be a massive car smash and someones going to end up dead during the New Year's Day ep. Is the crash and the death linked? I say so...

To me, it looked like Emma Summerhayes in the passenger seat of the car, and she has been giving Abi driving lessons... So I say that the pair crash, and Emma, who will have found out who Lucy's killer is, ends up dead before managing to tell all. Dum Dum Dummmm (or Duff, Duff, Duff!!)

My cousin has also come up with her own theory on Lucy's killer, and now thinks it could be Cindy. The limelight's been off the teen mum, but Jessica (my cousin in question) has noticed her make sly looks over dinner tables, etc, at the mention of it. I guess we'll all know in just over eight weeks time, when the 30th celebrations begin!

Overall, Enders got a 9/10 Christmas mark from me!


Hollyoaks gave us an hour special on Christmas Eve and JP and Ste's wedding was a hoot! A hoot which ended in Sinead revealing Ste to be her baby's dad, and then getting herself run over by Sienna and Dodger. Merry Christmas!

Sinead needed an emergency operation, and her baby is fine and well... I skim over that because I don't think that was the man point of the plot. Sinead's accident gave way to Diane reuniting with her daughter, after disowning her following the reveal of Sinead and Tony's affair. It also allowed Tony to be the one left with nothing and no-one, and opened Ste up to John Paul, where he was honest about sleeping with Sinead and another man... A big storyline to continue into the New Year.

The accident with Sinead also left Dodger being tied up once again by his psycho twin and taken back to the basement of their mothers house. Fate, Sienna believes, intervened and the pair are destined to be together. With Dodger leaving soon, I can't see this ending happily for him. Especially as it's now been revealed that Will Savage will be making a return and have a helping hand in Dodger's exit. Will, who's currently behind bars, is appealing his sentence for murdering his wife Texas, and mother Anna. He was the surprise Christmas returnee!
Imagine a Will and Sienna team-up? I shudder at the thought!

A heads-up - watch out on NYE's hour long special... A big secret is revealed to one poor Oakster - and it leaves more than one person devastated and lives are sure to be ruined for good.

Hollyoaks got a 7/10 from me this Christmas... 


Coronation Street was a good one on the day. As always, Corrie brings light with the shade. Steve's depression and Kylie's leaving were the main stories, and they were done really well. Now that Kylie has departed, having been kicked out by David and picked up by her ex, and Max's dad, Callum, what will become of the Platt family?

Callum will surely be back in town, and rumour has it that he's going to be fighting David for access and possibly custody of little Max. As his biological dad, Callum has right's over David - but is Callum really interested in his son, or does he just want to cause trouble?

David's brother Nick had a very Merry Christmas with his new fling, Erika, who is Liz McDonald's pal. What do you think of Erika? I like her, and think she could be a great new character, but I'm not sure she has staying power. She and Liz are too alike, and there's only room for one! I do like the change she's bought to Nick, however. He needed that. The character was beginning to wain in my opinion.

The unhappier end of Christmas was Roy Cropper ending up behind bars, after attacking Gary Windass, who was robbing the cafe till. Having had enough of being bullied by the local hood-rats, Roy lost his temper and attacked Gary, not knowing it was him, with a bat.
This will open up new stories for Roy, who no doubt is still grieving Hayley. I like his friendship with the new Nasir matriarch, Yasmeen. She's a strong-willed, out there kind of woman, and I think she's a little like Hayley in that respect...

Steve's depression is also about to be realised, leading up to the big bus crash. During the Christmas ep, I found myself giggling at Steve's actions, and then feeling frustrated watching him, which I imagine are the emotions people go down if they're living with someone with the kind of depression Steve's dealing with. You know something's not quite right, but the person is still that same person you know underneath. The funny side to Steve is still there... I'm looking forward to seeing him get the help he needs, and how his family cope. His relationship with Michelle has already become victim to his depression, and she will soon try to move on with newcomer Hamish, played by James Redmond. But once she finds out about Steve's plight, she'll surely rush back to his side..?

Corrie got a Christmassy 8/10 from me!


As for Emmerdale, I feel a little bit of a fraud if I sit here and write lots about it, as I said earlier, it's not a soap that I religiously watch - but rather dip in and out of. The Christmas ep, however, was comedic and dramatic. Bernice turning up in Andy's bride, Katie's, wedding dress to win him back was brilliant!
I know that Sammy Winward, who plays Katie, is set to leave Emmerdale next year - and how she leaves is a talking point for fans.
Having just given Belle, who I hear is suffering with schizophrenia, a job, many are thinking that an accident could occur and Katie could end up no-longer in the land of soap living!

The Christmas Emmerdale won a 7/10 from me...  

So all in all, this festive season, the soaps did well, didn't they!

Here's to the New Year fireworks... And I don't mean the ones in the sky!

SOAP NEWS

REALITY TELLY GOSSIP

DRAMA-RAMA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...