Tuesday 21 October 2014

OUR GIRL - Perfect end for a perfect comeback


Our Girl, the BBC drama, revolving around life in the armed forces and starring EastEnders' Lacey Turner had me gripped from episode one of the series.

I'm gutted that it only lasted for five episodes, but that was only because I loved it so much.

In fact, I'd say that it was the best drama I've seen on my telly box for some time.

I hope you've all seen the last ep by now, as some of the below might spoil it if you haven't done!

At the beginning of the series, Lacey revealed in an interview that she wasn't sure if Our Girl would return at the end of this run, as she wasn't too sure if it could...

I understand her meaning.

Molly, besotted with Captain James (or Charles, as Molly hilariously found out was his name!) who ended up injured and needing rehabilitation on his leg after being shot in battle on their final mission, decided to heed his advice and go back to the Army.

However, this wasn't before poor Smurf, who was also shot during the same battle, collapsed on the pitch at West Ham football club, after a day out with Molly. He died, due to an unnoticed bleed on his brain...

As much as you could see a tragedy happening during the final episode, it was still heartbreaking viewing.

The final ep ended with Molly back out in Afghan, and having been secretly reunited with her little friend, Bashira, who was taken to a safe house to live without fear.

So, as I mentioned, I can see why Lacey doesn't know where the series could go from here, and why she may think that things could be best left as they are - with Smurf no longer there, and Molly and Captain James' uniting ending openly - but for me, it totally can.

I'd love to see how Molly is doing, with her continuing Army life... Did she and Charles make a go of things and live happily ever after? Maybe she's met someone new, has gone up higher in the ranks? There are so many more avenues this drama could go down.

I definitely think that this was the perfect end to the perfect comeback.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...